In a previous post we described the Globus file transfer service. It is designed to transfer single or multiple large data sets between two sites. Here we show an alternate approach using the Filesender service offered by Internet2 that is focused on file transfers of any size between individual’s desktop or laptop computers. It is a particularly convenient way to overcome email attachment file size limitations.
The process is real easy, just follow these simple steps:
- Point your web-browser at: https://filesender.internet2.edu
- Login using "University of Michigan" as your Organization.
- Then use your UMich Uniqname and Kerberos password
- Fill in all the information fields of the form, especially the email address.
- Upload your files.
- Then click on the "Send" button. The recipient will be sent an email with a link and instructions on downloading the files. When the download is complete you will receive an email telling you so.
Does someone need to send you large files but is not from an Internet2 member Institution? No problem! After you log into the filesender site select "Guest Voucher" at the top of the page. You can then have an email sent to the other person with a link allowing them to send a file or multiple files back to you or anyone else. Be advised though that this is a one time use for each voucher.
As always, the HPC support staff on campus are available to help, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org